Andy* and his son take delivery of a new PIKUS 130 bridge saw. Andy was attracted to the PIKUS as it fits nicely into his van to take to sites and is powerful enough for his tiling needs.
Jim Stott, Tilers Tools National Sales & Marketing Director delivered the PIKUS personally and took father and son through the operation of the bridge saw.
You too can benefit from Jim’s expertise – call him on 07860 502410.
*Andy Carroll & Son Tiling Limited (www.andycarrolltiling.com) have become Tilers Tools ambassadors. Andy and son are well known for their tiling work around the Manchester area but have also undertaken commissions elsewhere in the UK as well as Europe. See also their video on YouTube
Another delivery of a ZOE Bridge Saw – Matt at Brockstone* was delighted when Jim Stott delivered a new ZOE bridge saw and took Matt through the ropes of it’s many powerful functions.
The photo shows Matt happily cutting through a 20mm thick tile with ease, no wonder he’s smiling!
Feel free to give Jim a call if you wish to discuss which Bridge Saw is best for your needs – tel 07860 502410.
*Matthew Brockhurst from Brockstone Landscape Construction (www.brockstone.co.uk). Matthew is a national award winner and has many awards from Marshalls for various landscapes his company has created.
The Raimondi Zoe 150 Advanced Tile Wet Saw Machine is suitable for cutting granite, marble, porcelain, single and double fired tiles, bricks, cement, etc. This wet cutter has an adjustable cutting depth and a tilting motor assembly for bevel cuts between 0 and 45° and a maximum length of cut of 155cm. The framework is cast and extruded aluminium and the large format (38l) water tank is removable for easy cleaning. A heavy duty dual nozzle water pump provides superior blade calling. Legs are telescopic with an anti-collapse device and wheels for easy transport. Blade guards pivot to remain parallel with tile for maximum cutting depth and float to provide extra safety in operation. A pressure device holds the tile steady and the Square is re-adjustable for long-lasting precision.
Large format and very large format tiles are becoming increasingly popular. As these tiles can be over 3m long, a number of tilers are asking “How do we tile these?”.
Jim Stott*, our National Sales & Marketing Director has the following tips;
- Be prepared, make sure you have the right equipment for the job
- As ever, the substrate needs to be primed and the back of the tiles clean and free from dust
- Most obvious challenges are; injury – these tiles are heavy and awkward to handle, breaking the tiles – they can be thin so more prone to breaking when handling, air pockets/bubbles – correct application of adhesive and the use of beaters are essential, lippage – it’s important to use a suitable levelling system such as the RLS
- Handling. Jim recommends using a suitable handling system such as the EASY MOVE or the T-MOVE systems we sell. These can be used along with our CAM system to move the tiles from the crate, ease buttering the back and then installation. We also offer modular benches to make it simple to process tiles on a suitable flat surface
- Cutting. Cutting tiles over 3000mm can be a challenge. Our FREECUT system anchors a rail onto the tile and then supports different tools for cutting the tiles.
- Large format tiles ALWAYS require back-buttering. Always apply the adhesive in stripes running parallel with the short edge to ease getting rid of air pockets/bubbles
- The floor or wall also needs the adhesive applied in stripes in the same direction as the adhesive on the tile
- Use a thin trowel (3mm )with notched teeth for the back buttering and a bigger trowel (10mm) with notched teeth for applying adhesive to the wall or floor. The sum of the two trowels notch sizes ought to equal or be greater than 13mm (3mm + 10mm + 13mm)
- Slant ridge notched trowels give the best coverage, such as our 182HVF10
- Beat the slabs from the centre to the edges
- Use Raimondi RLS system for best levelling results
- If you want to discuss your large format tile job, feel free to ‘phone Jim, 07860 502410. He’ll be happy to discuss your project with you and suggest suitable equipment and tools you may wish to consider – if you are a member of Tilers Club remind Jim to apply your 10% discount.
*Jim is a professional tiler with many years experience running his own teams of tilers. Jim works closely with Raimondi SpA of Italy and has a great knowledge of the range of tools and equipment available for a wide variety of tiling requirements, including large format and very large format tiles.